Swakopmund lies on the coast of north-western Namibia, 280 km west of Windhoek. The town has 42,000 inhabitants and is situated in the Namib desert. Swakopmund is a beach resort and an example of German colonial architecture. Founded in 1892 as the main harbour for German South-West Africa, a sizeable part of its population is still German-speaking today.
Attractions in Swakopmund include the Swakopmund Museum, the National Marine Aquarium, a crystal gallery and spectacular sand dunes near Langstrand. Outside of the city, the Rossmund Desert Golf Course is one of only 5 all-grass desert golf courses in the world. Nearby lies a camel farm and the Martin Luther steam locomotive, dating from 1896 and abandoned in the desert.